Monday, May 20, 2019

What is the definition of Toughness?

When I look at toughness I look at those who are willing to not let any challenge knock you down or even things that get in your way let it stop you from pushing farther. Somebody who fires back and talks with so much energy and even determination and shows you that they can hang with the big boys or even the MAN! is a huge proof of toughness.  Like in football where you break tackles, or even Hockey where you withstand hard hits as well, or even in Amateur wrestling where you overcome your biggest challenge and make the big challenge challenge you. Well I usually explain my personal analogy but I wanted to explain where I am coming from first well a late wrestling teammate of mine and he weighed at almost 184 or around that weight, and for him to really take on heavyweight wrestlers I was like wow he is a phenomenon and to see him step up and do whatever is requested from the coach it is really fun and interested to watch. On top of that I remembered practicing with him and even with wrestlers taller than him and even in scrimmage exhibition where he end up getting a technical fall in the most dominant fashion in amateur wrestling which i feel was very phenomenal and outstanding and it is very inspirational to watch. Well for me seeing him work hard and just be driven and deliver the same energy in practice gives me a reminder of how I need to persevere even when as punishment we had to do extra strength conditioning where we did 4 sets of 25 push ups. Surprisingly I pushed through all those push ups, and even was able to do the final one and it realized how much hard work it is to get in shape and build endurance and even work out the right way with energy and intensity. Seeing and understand what toughness means even when going back to when I did the paper route with my brother and on top of that learning what real consequences are and what real rewards are as well, with hard work and mainly toughness seeing the late wrestler Josh Newman succeed as number 4 in the state, even wrestling against the number one wrestler in the state was a challenge for him but really seemed like he was really up for it and it was really impressing. It seems like I typed a lot about that but I had to honor meeting him and being impressed with what he did.






Seeing wrestling does contain endurance and strength as well which combines for toughness. But another sport that does require toughness or can include toughness is Basketball and looking back one of the toughest NBA players that  was short for his position but overcame players that were taller than him and even matched up well against them. The player that I'm talking about that made such an impact mainly on defense and sometimes on his scoring is Ben Wallace, the man in a popular draft class in 1996 and was not drafted instead was signed as a free agent. He first played on the Washington Wizards didn't put up a lot of numbers but eventually played well on the Orlando Magics, then eventually made massive improvement playing for the Detroit Pistons, and becoming one of the Most deadly Centers even though he was short for a big man position like the Center, and made quite a few accomplishments.

Ben Wallace massively improved on the court and thanks to his work ethic not just on the court but in the gym as well. One of them which is working on upper body strength and even some agility as well. Seeing him on even big stars, matching up with star tall, big men like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnet, and even mainly Shaquielle O'neal to name a few.  Seeing his development in the game who was undrafted and probably counted out and didn't even think he was going to excel like how he did was impressive leading him to an NBA Champion where he excelled and stood out in one of the biggest moments in the new millennium for the Detroit Pistons, also another moment in his career was his biggest block on Shaq, even though Shaq said it was foul but it was still very outstanding to see a tough guy overcome one of the biggest accomplishments alongside his NBA Championship. Learning from what Ben Wallace accomplished and even how he had to start from the bottom it seems like from my observation  is always work hard to get better and even stronger, which really can develop your definition of toughness and "KNOCK THE THINGS THAT'S TRYING TO KNOCK YOU DOWN." To see him even on other teams after the Pistons continue to Excel it has been a major privilege to see a player like him continue to shine in his craft and even in a gritty work ethic like he did.



I am planning to do a 2 part posts on the Definition of toughness and one of the biggest part of toughness is try to push through and become tougher than tour obstacles, and even be tougher than your criticism and even be tougher than your bullies. Be stronger and push away all the strong issues and drama that is standing right in front of you. And also be tougher than all the tough drama and even tough issues. You complain and don't like how things are going and you hear somebody say "Well Tough luck, or just Tough." Well that's where you stand up or get up and stand face to face with those issues you don't like because complaining without taking any action will not lead you to any accomplishment, and even laziness or just being a straight up quitter will not get you where you want to go. Well it probably sounds obvious but another obvious term is: It is easier said than done. That is the part on what I am working on which is taking initiative and not be lazy while I complained so I can't say I am a master at it because I am making improvement because there is always room for improvement in life and ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment